Online Hidden Harm: Parental Substance Misuse Training Course
This online Hidden Harm: Parental Substance Misuse course is designed to help people who work with children understand the impact that parental substance misuse can have on both children and their families. Hidden Harm is an issue that affects families all over the UK and it is a serious child protection issue as it often goes un-noticed. This course will provide you with the knowledge needed to understand parental substance misuse, recognise the warning signs that suggest it may be having an impact on a child’s life and know what to do with any safeguarding concerns you may have.
High Quality Training Experience
Designed by Experts in Safeguarding Children
CPD Accredited Course
Fully Online Course, Instant Access
High Quality Certificate posted the next working day
Who Should take this course
This course is suitable for all employees, including full and part-time workers, students, volunteers and managers, who work with either children or their families. Everyone who works with children has safeguarding responsibilities and is required to take appropriate training to ensure their knowledge is up-to-date and relevant to their role.
Before taking this course you should have undergone some foundation level safeguarding training, such as our Introduction to Safeguarding Children Course. The Introduction course provides an overview of the key safeguarding children areas and terminology used throughout this Hidden Harm course.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
The course is divided into five accessible, interactive modules and includes an assessment at the end:
- Introduction – an overview of substance misuse, Hidden Harm and some facts about parental substance misuse.
- Defining Parental Substance Misuse – illegal and legal substances, depressants, stimulants, hallucinogenics, risks and consequences, alcohol, defining misuse, misuse and safeguarding.
- Understanding the Impact of Substance Misuse on Children – the impact of misuse on parenting capacity, case studies, the child’s environment and development, how children feel about substance misuse, the impact on unborn children.
- Best Practice in Working with Families – case studies, factors which increase and reduce risk, assessing the impact of substance misuse, responding to safeguarding concerns, practice points and SCIE recommendations.
- Further Resources – information on the books, documents and websites that provide further detail on Hidden Harm.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will be asked 10 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 80%. The answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed. If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with no extra charge.
It takes approximately 2 hours to complete the course in full. This can be spread out over multiple sessions or completed in a single session. There is no time limit for completion.
£30 + VAT