Safer Recruitment Training
This online safer recruitment training course is designed to help those who work with children and families to actively try to protect their welfare when selecting new people for the workforce.
Since December 2012, CRB checks and the Independent Safeguarding Authority are now part of a new service called the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). The DBS has three functions: to check to see if someone has a criminal record or information recorded about them which suggests that they are unsuitable to work with children, to maintain a list of all those people judged unsuitable to work with children, and to take referrals from organisations who are concerned that someone has not been assessed but is a risk to children and therefore unsuitable to work with them.
The eligibility criteria and process for DBS checks (formerly CRB checks) has also changed in recent months. This course explains the new process and gives guidance on how to go about ensuring it is done correctly during the safer recruitment process.
High Quality Training Experience
Designed by Experts in Safeguarding Children
CPD Accredited Course
Fully Online Course, Instant Access
High Quality Certificate posted the next working day
Who Should take this course
This online safer recruitment training course is suitable for anyone who works in a setting with children or young people and has some involvement in the recruitment, supervision and/or management of new employees and volunteers.
Before completing this course, learners should already have a good understanding of safeguarding issues and procedures. If you do not have this knowledge, then please consider completely the Introduction to Safeguarding Children course first.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
The course is divided into six accessible, interactive modules and includes an assessment at the end:
- Introduction – why safer recruitment is important, the Ian Huntley case example and safer recruitment practices.
- Key Principles – how safeguarding children is relevant to safer recruitment, how to create an awareness, the three steps to safer recruitment and an introduction to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
- Recruitment Processes and Practice – how to write a job description, the required contents of an application form and information pack, considering references, advertising the post and deterring unsuitable candidates.
- Short-listing and Preparing to Interview – considering applications, seeking references, preparing to interview, what to do with confidential disclosures and how to assess candidates fairly.
- Interviewing and Assessing Candidates – conducting the interview, causes for concern and how to close the interview and make the right choice.
- Appointing the Successful Candidate – pre-appointment checks and how to contact the Disclosure and Barring Service, making conditional offers and the induction process.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will be asked 12 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 75%. The answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed. If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with no extra charge.
It takes approximately 4 hours to complete the course in full. This can be spread out over multiple sessions or completed in a single session. There is no time limit for completion.
£30 + VAT